Further to a successful campaign of business growth, we are working closely with one of our manufacturing partners to appoint a Product Design Engineer with experience in 3D CAD & CADCAM to be developed within tooling & product design.
A successful business £4 million portfolio comprising of 2 x plants across delivering safety critical components across plastic injection moulding and textile assembly & fabrications within a variety of safety intrinsic markets. Looking to further capitalise on a broader product range & order book, our client is beginning to develop and strengthen their team with the next appointment within their Design team. Delivering a strong team working & high camaraderie working ethos, our client is a forward- thinking company that place their people at the forefront of their business success.
This is an exciting opportunity for a young Design Engineer to work closely with design, production, & commercial delivery departments to provide technical expertise with the company’s product & tooling manufacturing capabilities. Further to ongoing support & training, you will gain a strong understanding of the customer’s technical requirements and ability to make design changes and communicate appropriate solutions.
As Product Design Engineer you will assist the customer in working through recommended or required changes to their 3D CAD Solidworks model to help them take advantage of the company’s capabilities in CNC machining of the tool, appropriate plastic injection moulding material selection, to the finished product. As Design Engineer you will have full support, training & development from the design & technical team for fulfilling & delivering your full potential and becoming a recognised Design Engineering professional within the company.
This is an excellent opportunity offering great rewards & benefits, job satisfaction & career progression, working with like-minded professionals within plastic injection moulding & assembly automation, implementing good working practices and aspiring to be a lean manufacturing company.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Act as the technical resource for new design & modification concepts
- Address technical objections from customers by focusing on strengths
- Support design team in all written and verbal communications both internally and externally
- Document relevant notes & modifications in the Drawing Office & CRM database to support manufacturing & sales teams
- Resolve issues diplomatically in a logical and non-emotional manner
- Contribute to continuous improvement activities as required
- To be involved in the creation and development of new products & tools in conjunction with improving the performance and design of existing products
- To work alongside the current design team to create design concepts through to fully engineered, manufacturable products
- Support & manage design projects from conception through to manufacture
- Liaise with other departments within the company (tool room engineers, production team etc.) throughout the development and manufacturing processes
- To implement design awareness, creativity & flair towards all work projects
- An HND or Degree in a relevant Design discipline or equivalent qualification
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, with an ability to build rapport and team trust
- Good appreciation, awareness & vigilance towards quality of applications & recommended 3D CAD model changes
- Minimum of 1 years’ technical placement or employment experience within a similar design role
- Creative, with strong design skills and engineering / manufacturing understanding & knowledge
- Strong attention to detail and a sensitivity to the visual aspects of a product
Good problem solving, analytical skills and good attention to detail
- A good understanding of design for manufacture
- Proficiency in Solidworks 3D CAD software, however Solidworks training & conversion will be provided for applicants with equivalent 3D Software experience such as Mechanical Desktop, Fusion 360, Pro Engineer, Unigraphics, Catia, Solidedge
- An understanding of CADCAM principles will be an advantage but not essential as full training will be provided
- Self-motivated with an enthusiasm to learn and develop
- A good ability of practical and methodical design development through prototyping and testing
- Be able to grasp the manufacturing and business processes
- Goal oriented and comfortable with meeting or exceeding clearly defined tasks
- Effective problem solving skills
- Strong sense of urgency and ability to be highly responsive
- Strong attention to detail
- Self-motivated, positive attitude and able to work independently or in a team environment
- Receptive to constructive feedback from supervisors, peers and customers
- Clear & concise communication skills
- Be punctual, a good timekeeper, well presented & be of a healthy constitution